This role requires the candidate to have a working understanding of the software development lifecycle and work in a diverse team consisting of development and domain specialists. The candidate will be required to integrate internal and external systems, build robust and efficient code for both front and back-end applications, develop documentation and translate outputs into visualisations for end users. The role will initially have a focus on back-end development contributing to about 70% of the expected time spent, but this focus is expected to evolve over time. QED IT work very closely with other developers whose focus is on actuarial applications as well as the relevant data environment specialists and domain experts.
We are currently on a journey to evolve our data environment and user applications toward a centralised and cloud-based solution. This role is a central contributor to that development.
- Create a 3-tiered application, focussing on data, calculation, and front end.
- Design client-side and server-side architecture.
- Write effective APIs.
- Understand relationship databases and how to integrate a system into multiple different sources.
- Researching, designing, implementing, and managing software programs.
- Testing and evaluating new programs.
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and subsequently developing these modifications.
- Writing and implementing efficient code.
- Determining operational practicality.
- Developing quality assurance procedures.
- Deploying software tools, processes and metrics.
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems.
- Training users.
- Working closely with other developers, business, data environment specialists and data stewards.
- 3 – 7 years’ experience as a Software Developer
- BSC Information Technology will be advantageous
- Online courses with certificates
- Projects within the Bespoke Software sphere
- OOP languages, Python, C#, Java, PHP
- Back-end integration layer languages such as Java, Python, Node.js, Asp.Net, Flask
- Creation and integration to backend RESTful and API services.
- SQL design and best practise
- Cloud based operations in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- Deployment of production ready software on cloud-based environments
- Permanent Position
- Up to R408 000